At Dolphin Academy we emphasize care and genuine interaction between humans and dolphins. Dolphin Academy provides a variety of unforgettable experiences that are tailored for different age categories, but always includes educational context so that our guests can understand and appreciate the importance of protecting dolphins worldwide and their environment. Together with the Curacao Public Aquarium N.V. and Substation Curacao, they form a fascinating world of diverse marine organisms and ecospheres just waiting for you to come and explore.
As a Junior Dolphin Trainer you will work independently with the animals in different interactive programs. During these programs, a Junior Dolphin Trainer ensures that our guests have a memorable experience, thus customer-friendliness is essential in this role. You will be working closely in a team of experienced trainers, as well as with other departments such as Photoshop and Front Office, so being a team player, having good communication skills, and a great sense of humor is the key for success. Most importantly, Dolphin Academy’s main priority is the welfare of the dolphins and as a Junior Dolphin Trainer it is his or her responsibility to safeguard the quality care of the dolphins. Other job-related activities include preparing fish and dietary needs for the dolphins, maintenance of natural lagoon, cleaning up and preparing lagoon areas, and keeping health and dietary records of the dolphins. To ensure all of the above, it is essential that a junior dolphin trainer has a good physical and mental health and enjoys working outside instead of behind a desk.
- Provide the highest standards of care to ensure the continuing good health and well-being of the dolphins
- Learn how to keep daily behavioral, health, and dietary records
- Learn to monitor constantly all aspects of each animal’s behavior
- Learn to cooperate with and handle dolphins during programs without the need for supervision
- Interact with our guests to ensure unforgettable experiences
- Maintain cleanliness, upkeep, and monitor safety of the dolphin facility
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of a high school (MAVO/HAVO/VWO) degree
- Having a natural affection and love for animals, experience with working with animals professionally is a pre
- Natural talent in public speaking
- Top physical condition with strong swimming skills
- Proactive and an outside non-desk job mentality
- Eager to learn
- Spontaneous, positive attitude and has a sense of humor
- A team player
- Well-groomed and representative appearance
- Good knowledge of languages such as, Dutch, English and Papiamentu, and Spanish is a pre!
We encourage you to apply if you feel your profile is a match!
Please send your CV and cover letter.